Wednesday, May 12, 2010

EEk!!

Cole went in for his 3 year old check up yesterday....wow!! Good times for us! First of all he is underweight. Really? That is so strange to me. My older two were beyond off the charts for height and weight. We don't make small children.... :) So, I knew he was skinny but didn't think he was underweight. So. The doctor put him on a high calorie/crap food diet. Everything I try and keep out of his mouth...the doctor said to put in it! We're talking ice cream, french fries, milk shakes. He even said to not give him plain whole milk to add carnation instant breakfast because it has more calories than, say, pediasure. So he gets "chocolate milk" every stinking hour. I don't think I have EVER bought chocolate milk. I think it is just extra fat and calories and it makes them crave sugar....but that's just me. THIS GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING I BELIEVE IN!!!!!!! I'm freaking out a little bit :) It's hard too telling the other kids that it's only for him. I don't want to ruin everyone with all of this junk....I know I'm a freak.

The next thing I know he is telling me that is suspects that Cole might have a bone tumor in his chest....growing in/on his rib. We took him in yesterday for chest x-rays and they couldn't find anything. So, tomorrow morning we are taking him in for an ultrasound to check out the soft tissues surrounding it....if that shows nothing, then it's off for an MRI. Yippee skippee! Can't wait. Just sign my check over to UVRMC....thank you very much!!

It just breaks my heart to think that something might be wrong with my baby. I can't even put into words how much this hurts me. We don't even know if anything is even wrong yet, but the thought of anything happening to my little "fatty" is killing me!! I know I'm such a whimp with nothing hard in my life, I just don't know if I could handle anything going wrong with him. He's such a little dude..... It has just brought me back to my family. Realizing how important they are and how much I love them and how much each of them individually means to me. Why oh why does it take something like this to remember how blessed we are?? I get it...okay? I get it!! I'm the luckiest girl in the world. Enough. :)

I'm not looking for sympathy, just wanted you all to know what is going on and for journaling purposes!!!

6 comments:

Jimi said...

Ya know, you think when you have your baby and they are healthy, then all of your worries are over. Not hardly! We have spent the past 2 months going back and forth to Primary Children's with Rylan. He just had an MRI 2 weeks ago, and it was no fun. They had to sedate him, using an IV and the whole 9 yards. It's just so stressful waiting and wondering and worrying. At least most of the times with kids they are just over cautious and want to really make sure everything is good. Hang in there, I'll remember you guys in my prayers. I'm sure everything will be just fine :)

shellyray said...

Poor little Cole. I'm going to give my little guy an extra hug tonight. I just want you know that I'm hoping and praying for you that all is fine.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that really is scary! Jack was underweight for a long time, and we did the carnation instant breakfast. It did help him! Although I would still stay away from the french fries and junk food- milkshakes would be fine with me. You just have to think that calories are good, but fat and bad-for-you oil is not.

I hope the bone thing turns out to be nothing, and I totally hear ya about just the testing being SO gosh dang expensive. Give him some extra hugs and kisses!! We will keep him in our prayers!

ali said...

you guys will be in our prayers for sure! Keep us posted...

Tara said...

So scary! I hope he is ok! So scary not knowing!
So about the weight thing, my Zack was underweight at one time. The dr.s were in a tizzy. It freaked me out! They had us feed him lots of crap too. Now he's overweight. Who can win?! I agree with Shanna. I wouldn't feed him the really bad junk. Just increase how often you give him healthy snacks. Matthew was underweight recently. He would live on bologna and hotdogs if I let him but you know, I have a hard time just feeding my kids junk all the time too. We rarely eat out. I decided I would let Matthew have more snacks more often like yogurt, cheese, crackers, bread, a slice of deli turkey, etc. He gained weight from that. He even started eating his meals better. He is looking so much more healthy. Not overweight but not sickly. You don't have to give them unhealthy stuff in order for him to gain weight just healthy snacks more often until they gain the weight and they are fine. That's my opinion anyway. Go with your "mom instincts" because that will get you further than anything else! You're right to not want him to be a junk food junky! It's hard to get rid of bad habits! Try this way for a couple weeks. If he's improving without all the really bad junk then try it that way. Can't hurt! You are such a wonderful mother and so loving and good to your kids! I hope everything works out for you adorable little Cole! Take care!

Hillary said...

What the?.....

WoW that is sucky stuff to worry about. Those babies are nothing but trouble, I tell you. I'm sure hope everything will be fine. And the prayers will be flowing for sure.

Love your guts.