Thursday, October 1, 2009

Saying Goodbye

My grandmother's funeral was on Wednesday September 30. My aunts and my mom asked me if I would do my grandma's hair for the funeral. Whoa. That I wasn't so sure about. I mean, I wanted to, but it's not something I had done before.

Of course I did it. It was something I did as a service to my grandma. The last thing I could do for her. So, I went down on Tuesday afternoon with my mom and dad and my uncle Dan (my mom's twin).


My travel companions.






Her hair really turned out nice. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am so glad that I did.
Here are some pictures from the viewing...

My cousins Dave and Lisa and their dad Mike. They live in Indiana so I NEVER get to see them. It was so much fun to get to know them as adults and get reacquainted with my family.




My cousin Austin, Uncle Vince, Whitney and Nick. They live in Canada. Not much seeing them, either. They are also a lot younger than I am, so it was fun to get to know them. Thank heavens for Facebook, I have had the chance to get to know them a bit through that.




This is the display table that my cousins Lisa and Whitney put together for the viewing and the funeral. It really turned out nice.











My mom's siblings. They are sitting in age order. My aunt Marilyn, my mom and her twin Dan, their younger sister Michelle.





We spent the night at the Comfort Inn in Beaver. Pretty sure we shocked the heck out of them. There were nine million of us wandering around and just kind of took over the joint!
At dinner on Tuesday night we went to this restaurant in Beaver to get some dinner. We walked in and told them we had a party of 26. You should have seen the look on the poor girl's face!! It was priceless. But you know what? We had great service. One waitress. Food was good, everyone got what they ordered and it didn't take that long. I've had worse service with 2 people in a restaurant with only us in it.....that says a lot for the "Timberline". If you are ever one your way to southern Utah, stop by.

Grandma hanging out with the girlies while dad dad this.....




Planning his talk. Good job, by the way dad. He gave a great talk at the funeral. The whole service was beautiful. Touching, funny and spiritual. Just like grandma!






The pall bearers at the graveside service. It was ffffffreeeezzzing!!!!



Just before the grave dedication. My brother Doug did that, great job.




My grandmother's casket. Isn't it beautiful? I love the topper. It was stunning. Pink and red roses.



My grandmother's husband, Robert, gave all of the grand daughters and great grand daughters a rose from her topper. To remember that we are the next generation of strong women coming up in this world and to have something to remember that grandma loves us!! It was so sweet!




Kennedy and her rose




Louis felt left out of the rose ceremony so he found a random ribbon blowing around the cemetery. This was his token :)



My WHOLE family. Man, we're fertile...6 siblings all married. Most with kids.






All of the Olsen grandkiddos







All of the Gale cousins (minus Scott and Savannah)Don't know if we'll all get together ever again. IT was really fun to get together. We have such a cool family!
So, that's it. I'm glad it over. We will miss her, but I'm glad that part is over!!!


6 comments:

Kyle and Shanalee said...

It's such a wonderful feeling to have all of your family together, but it's sad it always has to be at funerals. My family is the same way!! I think it's really great of you to do your Grandma's hair, I'm sure it turned out great. And you Miss Skinny Butt, are looking awesome too!!

The Olsons said...

I did my grandmas hair too. I wasn't sure about it, but was such a great experience for me. My cousin and I both did her hair while my aunt and other cousin finished dressing her, painted her nails, just touched her up to look nice. It was a better experience than I thought it would be I'm glad I had the opportunity but something you for sure don't look forward to. But a good goodbye.

ali said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma Em-- my heart is with you guys.

Kevin and Erin said...

So I guess we have more in common than we knew about. My grandpa and grandma both grew up in Beaver and my grandma knew all about your grandma. She also said that your mom debated with my aunt Paula in high school. Crazy!

Hillary said...

I am SO glad no one asked me to do my sis in laws hair for her funeral. I would have done it but it would have been SOOO hard. You are an awesome grand daughter. Plus, I think you look great in all your pictures. THE end.

Anonymous said...

My mom usually tells me when Beaver people die- They didn't tell me about her. Sorry. Glad you enjoyed the Timberline. :) It's a pretty special thing that you can do something so personal for someone you love. That would be a difficult honor. I remember with my own grandma, I was glad my sister was there to deal with medical problems that would send me out of the room. I felt pretty helpless and not helpful, and guilty for being a wuss. You are the prettiest cousin the family!